THE DESIGNER - ALFRED MYLNE
Alfred Mylne was apprenticed to the famous Scottish shipbuilders, Napier Shanks and Bell.
He then worked as draftsman to G.L. Watson, where he was involved in drawing up the plans of the Royal Yacht "Britannia". This "Britannia" was the magnificent racing cutter that was first owned by the Prince of Wales [later King Edward VII] and which later passed to his son, King George V. Mylne set up his own office in 1896, which almost certainly makes the firm that still bears his name the world's oldest yacht design business in continuous production.
Mylne immediately established a reputation as a designer of winning yachts, and was one of the people behind the most successful yacht handicap rules of all time - the International Metre Rule. This rule was devised in 1906 and in the following years Mylne designed a wonderful collection of winners in various metre sizes up to the remarkable and successful 19 metre cutter "Octavia".
Mylne designs were always admired for their elegance, and this was one of the attractions that drew owners to commission cruisers of every size from his design board. He also produced One-Design classes and racing dinghies, launches and some commercial craft. In 1911 he bought a yacht building yard with his brother Charles and ran it himself until he handed it over to his nephew, Alfred Mylne II in 1946 when he retired.
Mylne ran the design office and yacht yard through both World Wars, producing craft for the Royal Navy as well as major components of flying boats for the Royal Naval Air Service.
- 1934 -
OWNER: ROBERT FRENCH
The vessel was first launched under the name of ALBYN in 1934 towards the end of the Golden Age of classic yachts.
Scotland and especially the Clyde region were international leaders in the design and building of these graceful craft and there is no finer pedigree than that of Alfred Mylne (Photo above), pupil of the illustrious G. L. Watson, and the shipyard of Stephens of Linthouse on the Clyde.
Officially described as an auxiliary engined gaff rigged ketch, she is 92 foot overall and 82 foot on deck, originally fitted with an eight litre Gleniffer paraffin engine. She was built for the Glasgow tobacco magnate Robert French, a leading yachtsman of his day.
The Lloyds register of 1936 shows him not only as a member of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club but also as Commodore of both the Royal Cruising Club and the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club of Cowes. He raced her successfully both on the Clyde and at Cowes and she was on the Solent when war broke out in 1939, sailing for Dunkirk for the evacuation in 1940 (though not officially a "Dunkirk little ship")
- 1947 -
OWNER: SR FELTRINELLI
In 1947 she was purchased by the wife of the Italian Publisher Sr Feltrinelli and renamed GIALESE - her own name while retaining Southampton as her Port of Registry, although she was sailed to the Mediterranean and Porto Santo Stefano became her home port in Italy.
The Feltrinelli family kept her until the death of Sra Feltrinelli in 1983 and she was subsequently put up for sale at Sotheby's in London.
- 1983 -
OWNER: KEITH SCHELLENBERG
Clifford Keith Wain Schellenberg (13 March 1929 – 28 October 2019) was an eccentric and rather adventurous British businessman and former Winter Olympian. A millionaire playboy who made his fortune in the motor industry, shipbuilding, livestock feed and agricultural chemicals, Schellenberg was a larger than life character who spent his early in life in the Royal Tank Regiment based at Catterick.
In 1975, Schellenberg became the ninth laird of Eigg, his reign ended 20 years later after his 1927 Phantom 1 Rolls Royce vintage car met a fiery end, burned to a blackened shell under mysterious circumstances.An industrialist with interests in a well known Italian shipyard purchased her and the yacht underwent a major refit over some eighteen months.
She was launched again in the summer of 1986, perfectly restored to her original condition, and renamed GALASHIEL in honour of the Scottish region of her building in 1934, with Montrose as her Port of Registry.
At the Classic Yacht rally Imperia (Italy) in 1987, GALASHIEL received the award for the best interpreter of tradition thanks to her largely original interior and deck details.
- 1993 -
OWNER: ERLING STORM
In the summer of 1993 Erling Storm from Norway bought her and sailed here to Oslo.
At the Risör Wooden Boat festival on the 7th of August that same year, Arja Sayjonmaa gave her the new name EILEEN II. Over the 27 year period the boat was put through a total renovation of almost all areas. The vessel was meticulously cared for throughout the owners period, and with her new base in the hard Nordic environment the boat was placed in secure winter storage each year where she underwent the necessary renovations to return her to as close to the original 1934 version as possible. Eileen II was a popular addition to many regattas and festivals along the Norwegian coastline, always adding the valor of the event with her head-turning visual appeal. In 2009 sailed over the North Sea to circumnavigate the British Isles. This trip proved the boats pedigree and sturdiness meeting conditions of 55-60 knopp winds and heavy seas. Her seasons were spent in charter service in the spring and autumn periods in and around Oslo, whereas the summer months were spent sailing the Norwegian coastline on differing charters.
- 2020 -
OWNER: CHRISTIAN WESSEL
Eileen II sold to Christian Wessel, and we are proud to announce that the vessel will remain a resident of the Oslo region with her new berth at the Aker Brygge Marina in the heart of Oslo. The new owner has a clear goal to protect and preserve the vessels heritage, and continue the meticulous preservation and restoration work that the previous owner Erling Storm stood for throughout his time as owner.
The vessel will continue to be operated as an exclusive charter vessel in the regular season, with a clear goal to continue the legacy that Alfred Mylne laid down for her in 1934 as one of the worlds most elegant and beautiful superyachts.